Street Corn Pizza
Updated: Mar 27, 2020
Who doesn't love street corn?! And who doesn't love pizza?! I have combined the two to bring you a marriage made in heaven! Living in LA, I see a lot of street corn everywhere and I always have to order it. It's my favorite side. I went to SF a few months ago to a restaurant called Star Belly and their summer menu offered a corn pizza, it was soo good. Naturally, I had to try to recreate it!
This recipe is pretty easy, especially if your crust is ready-made. The pizza "sauce" and corn topping take hardly any time at all to prep. I know the pizza "sauce" made of mayo and sour cream sounds pretty gross but trust me - it's good!! I am not a huge fan of mayo but you don't really taste it in here. And the avocado-lime crema adds just the zing it needs!
Make sure you don't skip the cotija cheese either! You can usually find this cheese in any grocery store with the Mexican cheeses. It melts like a parmesan, it's semi-soft. Also, it's really easy to shred because it basically crumbles. Can't wait for you guys to try this one!
Streen Corn Pizza
Pizza dough or ready-made crust
1 cup sweet corn, frozen or fresh
5 oz. Cotija cheese (half a block), shredded/roughly crumbled
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle pepper powder
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp garlic, grated
4 tsp lime juice, divided
1 jalapeño, sliced thin
Salt to taste - use sparingly as cheese is salt forward
Cotija cheese crumbles
*Recipe for Avocado-Lime Crema will be included!
1. Preheat oven according to pizza dough/crust instructions. Roll out dough to make the pizza crust or prepare the ready-made crust on a baking tray. Set aside.
2. Add mayo, sour cream, garlic, and 2 tsp lime juice into a cup or bowl and whisk until smooth and no lumps are left. Set aside - this will be your pizza “sauce.”
3. Next for the corn, heat a sauté pan on medium heat and melt the butter. Add corn, smoked paprika, cayenne, chipotle powder and salt. Cook on high heat til golden brown and some of the corn kernels have a little char on it. Remove from heat.
4. Now to assemble the pizza - take half of the mayo-sour cream mixture and spread a thin layer over your pizza crust. Top with shredded Cotija cheese, reserving about 1/2 cup for garnish after baking. Next, top with corn and half of the jalapeño slices, place in the oven to bake for 8-10 minutes or according to your pizza crust instructions as listed on the packaging.
5. While the pizza bakes, prepare the avocado-lime crema. Add 1/2 avocado, the remaining half of jalapeño, and 2 tsp lime juice to the mayo-sour cream mixture and blend til smooth and creamy. Pour into a squeeze bottle. If you don’t have one then pour it into a ziplock bag and cut a tiny corner off.
6. Once pizza is done, remove from oven. Sprinkle remaining Cotija cheese on top. Drizzle the avocado-lime crema over the pizza - as much or little as you like! Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions. Add fresh jalapeños & avocado slices if desired. Enjoy!